About Me


Name: Raven
Home: Ohio, United States
About Me: Married, 2 kids, 3 step-kids, 3 cats and a mini-doxie
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Places I Wander
Template by
Blogger templates
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Well That was quick...
OK, let me update you on what has been happening.
First, my MIL has breast cancer. I'm not sure if I mentioned that in a past post. She has been going through Chemo and at the end of this month is having a double masectomy. She is doing surprisingly well, considering her age (close to 80) and is looking pretty good.
Second, my sister is pregnant. They found out about a month ago that the baby has some pretty sever heart defects and will require open heart surgery almost immedietly after it's born. Again, the prognosis is pretty good, and everyone is hopeful that she (the baby) will be out of the hospital within a month to 6 weeks.
Both of these items are stressful events, but you keep a good face on and keep your hopes up. This last week though, I got hit with another item and I just sank down into a mire of grumpiness and panic.
I had a doctor's appointment last Thursday. THAT doctor's appointment, the one every women should go to every year. Well, it's been about 4 years for me (bad Raven, bad) my last doctor got tired of paying Ohio's malpractice insurance premiums and left the state. I just never got up the energy of replacing him. Well, I finally went to a new doctor, and she's great.
During the appointment she gave me a breast exam, and found a lump and some tenderness. She gave me an order for a mamogram. Oh Joy...now I have panic and the fun of getting my tits squished. I managed to get an appointment on Monday. Most of it didn't hurt, mainly just the last one, centered around where the tenderness was. That one hurt like a bitch. They told me they would send the results to my doctor in 3 to 5 days.
I came home yesterday and there was a message from the doctor telling me everything was fine. No cancer, just a fibrocystic breast. Meaning I have an internally lumpy and thinkening breast. No big deal, beyond the fact that I will have to get mamograms on a regular basis now. :::Big sigh of relief:::
So that's why I have been rather uncommunicative. I've been a state of panic...along with my husband...who I think had an even bigger sigh of relief. I was just hit with trauma stick one too many times to handle lately.
I did have fun avoiding thinking about it though. I bought a new cell phone, went and test drove a Smart car, and dyed my hair red.
posted by Raven @ 9:49 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At May 14, 2008 11:28 AM, Blogger SkylersDad said…

    I am so happy that your tests came back good! If you ever need any other exams, I can send you my price sheet...

     
  • At May 14, 2008 11:40 AM, Blogger Raven said…

    You do that, I'll pass it along to my 80 year old MIL as well. ;-)

     
  • At May 15, 2008 10:04 AM, Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said…

    Please note that Drs. Norton and NORTON! are much closer here at the Possum Lodge Free Clinic and ready to assist with breast exams at any time. In fact, one can stand behind and the other in front!! We are MOST thourough...

    Seriously, though, what IS GOING ON this last fornight? Between J-- the Lost Boy and his Terrieristic note in school, B-- getting suspended for the Nth time, M-- getting royally fucked up at a party, your MIL, your sis, your boobs... What th' hell is going on? Is it from living near CEI for so long and all that crap they dumped in Erie when we were kids??

    Jesus...

     
  • At May 18, 2008 6:16 PM, Blogger bubbles said…

    I'm glad your tests turned out well. That is a real lousy thing to go through! But hey, red hair, new phone? Cool.

    I had one of those 'needle core' biopsies once. Not too terrible, but scary until the results were in. Some calcification or something. I knew it was nothing. Lefty has always had issues.. the babies didn't like lefty, either. I know, TMI...

     
  • At May 20, 2008 2:57 PM, Blogger Cheer34 said…

    I am glad your test came back with positive information...I have had two of those cysts removed...they are painful....it is scary waiting for the results....

    Hope all goes well with your MIL...

     
  • At June 11, 2008 1:08 PM, Blogger LindseyinWA said…

    Hi Raven,

    I noticed you blogging about your recent mammogram, and I wanted to let you know about a new site that is helping for fund mammograms for women who would not otherwise be able to afford it.

    here is the link:
    www.servenation.com/card/3139

    Would you consider posting the link on your page to share with your readers? If you like, I can send you a button for the link.

    Thanks,
    Lindsey
    ljacobs@psfc.com

     
Post a Comment
<< Home