About Me


Name: Raven
Home: Ohio, United States
About Me: Married, 2 kids, 3 step-kids, 3 cats and a mini-doxie
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Places I Wander
Template by
Blogger templates
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Raising Daughters
I've always said that raising daughters was more difficult that sons. Considering that I only have one son...I don't have a huge test sample. But, it seems to me that with boys you teach them how to pee standing up (and try to hit the target), give them some condoms and make sure they know how to put them on.
Girls on the other hand...you have to teach about their periods, about birth control, and disease prevention, PMS, personal safety and so on.
The last one, personal safety is a big one in my book. I've taken self defense classes and read up on tips about keeping safe. I always go out to my car with my keys in my hand, pay attention to my surroundings, only use drive up ATM's. I have passsed on a lot of my tips and tricks to my girls. This weekend...one of them got a reason to use it.
Dorky Daughter was walking home from a friend's house. She had her head phones on, but the volume was low. She could still hear traffic and people. She had her cell phone in her hand. She was walking on one of the city's bike paths between 2 developments. Someone came up behind her out of the woods. They smacked the cell phone out of her hand. They then tried to grab her around the waist. She did exactly what I and her Tai-Chi teacher have pound into her head. She kicked out behind her (and made contact) and ran as soon as the person let go. She immediatly ran back to her friend's house.
She was amazing and did everything she should have. I wasn't home when this happened, I was at the craft store. When she called me and started to tell me what happened I told her to hang up and call the police. The police came and took a report. Unfortunatly all of this happened to Mandy from behind her, so she didn't see anything...just heard an "oofff" when she made contact.
Hubby was on his way to Albany...he was in Erie when I got a hold of him. He immediatly turned around and came home. Circle the wagons...we're protecting our children.
While the kids and I were waiting for Hubby to get home we decided to take back our lives and go hunting. I really didn't think we would find anyone, but it made us feel better. We drove around the 2 different developments looking for anyone limping. We didn't find anyone. My sister asked what I would have done had I found the person. "I was in my mini-van...what do you think I would have done?"
The kids are back to their normal selves...but the new rule in effect is no walking on these pathes alone.
posted by Raven @ 1:46 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At April 29, 2008 2:38 PM, Blogger SkylersDad said…

    Wow, that is so scary! Good for Mandy, and way to go to give her this knowledge!

     
  • At April 30, 2008 11:50 AM, Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said…

    Jesus...!! And I love the way you went out hunting! THAT'S the way ya' do it! "you wanna fuck with MEEE mister?!"

    Ever find the cell phone? that's the only piece that would worry me-- generally those things are like small personal computers with a LOT of information in it. Though if someone's cowardly enuff to attack a young girl they might not try to find her again.

    what do they call those metal things that snap out and extend with the fling of a wrist??

     
  • At May 03, 2008 1:10 PM, Blogger bubbles said…

    Oh, Raven!

    My worst nightmare, almost. What a horrible experience for you all. Good for your husband coming back like that. It is important for kids of all ages to know the wagons will circle. Heck, its good for all of us!

    If they didn't take you seriously before, they will now - that is the bright side, I suppose. This situation gave you instant credibility!

    I have two daughters and one son. For me, raising both genders is difficult regarding physical and emotional safety because with the girls it is what you described. For my son it is that I don't have a man's perspective in the process so I'm always second guessing myself in how I counsel him.

     
  • At May 05, 2008 11:18 AM, Blogger SkylersDad said…

    How are the girls doing Raven? I hope everything has settled down now.

    All my best!

     
  • At May 05, 2008 1:07 PM, Blogger Cheer34 said…

    OMG I have the shivers from this post...thank god you had the sense to teach your daughtrs how to defend themsleves...and they LISTENED! A great book to read that I gave my daughter is "The gift of Fear" This is a must read for everyone. I am so glad your daughter is OK...

     
  • At May 13, 2008 9:34 PM, Blogger Real Live Lesbian said…

    Ohmahgawd...that scares the hell out of me! Thank goodness she listened to you and had the wherewithall to put it into action.

    I love that you went hunting for that muthafucka. I would love to see you tear into him.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home