About Me


Name: Raven
Home: Ohio, United States
About Me: Married, 2 kids, 3 step-kids, 3 cats and a mini-doxie
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Places I Wander
Template by
Blogger templates
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
First Amendment and Jobs
I have a friend who was fired today. He had just uprooted his family and moved to a new city, rented a house, put his kids in a new school to take this job. Two weeks in, they fire him. Why? Not because he didn't do his job, not because he was unqualified or called off sick or any other reason like that...he was fired for exercising his first amendment rights.

They fired him because they didn't like the content of his blog!

Can he sue over this...I've looked online and I can't find anything definitive...so I would think not. It seems that employers can fire you for commenting on things during your off hours if they don't like it. I would encourage him to contact the local news outlets though and get his story heard. This has got to end. Unless you are making threats, I personally think it should be illegal to be able to fire someone for these kids of things.

That's my opinon...if the ORLANDO PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM does like it...tough noogies.
posted by Raven @ 7:29 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At August 30, 2007 12:28 PM, Blogger bubbles said…

    OMG. That is terrible.

    I know my family worries about my blogging because it truly isn't as anonymous as it can feel.

    My question, although I totally understand if you can't or won't answer... if there is a pen-name and no mention of the specifics of the place of employment, how can the employer have an issue?

    I'm so sorry, and your friend's blog will be missed. Pass along my best wishes for recovery from this horrible blow.

     
  • At August 30, 2007 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bastards!! All of 'em!!

    I wonder what exactly I SAID that made 'em so cranki??

     
  • At August 30, 2007 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, and BTW, I was a member of the union and could have invoked my Weingarten Rights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weingarten_Rights) but I was actually so happy to get the fuck OUT of there, it didn't really matter. What is there to fight FOR? to get my JOB BACK?? fuck that!!

     
  • At September 01, 2007 11:20 AM, Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said…

    Jesus, that sucks!! and a SCHOOL DISTRICT did this to him? I didn't think they were smart enough to find stuff like that out about a person...

     
  • At September 02, 2007 11:13 AM, Blogger Hazel said…

    that's crazy. What about the students he was teaching? What happens to THEM now that there's no teacher to teach them? Anyone think of THAT? or do they just get the shitty end of the stick, as per usual??

     
Post a Comment
<< Home