About Me


Name: Raven
Home: Ohio, United States
About Me: Married, 2 kids, 3 step-kids, 3 cats and a mini-doxie
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Places I Wander
Template by
Blogger templates
Thursday, June 23, 2005
Too Liberal?
I signed the petition that was circulated my moveon.org to not cut the budget for public broadcasting and NPR. I really don't have time to watch much TV and I really don't listen to much radio. I did it out of nostalgia for days when I would watch Sesame Street, Electric Company, Via Alegra on PBS. My children also watched Sesame Street and other shows. I am a big believe in these programs, they are non-violent, they help kids learn, they expand horizons.
Well, I look on the web tonight and there is an article stating they are not going to cut the funding..yipee! But, as was reading the article there was a quote at the bottom about the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, Kenneth Y. Tomlinson (a GOP appointee by the way) stating he thought public broadcasting was too liberal. Too Liberal?
Big Bird is perpetually 6 years old. SIX! What is liberal about Big Bird. I know these shows have updated with the times. Cookie Monster is eating healthier meals, Mr. Snuffalupugus is no longer invisible, hell, there are rumors that Bert and Ernie are a "non-traditional" family. These are things kids deal with on a daily basis, this is not liberal, this is life. What is liberal about small children? I think Kenneth Y. Tomlinson has been spending too much time with Oscar the Grouch.
posted by Raven @ 6:52 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At June 29, 2005 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That IS ridiculous. I for one grew up on a steady diet of Seseme St, Mr. Rogers and Electric Company; it's one of the reasons I was able to read fluently by the middle of 1st grade (whereas some kids can't read fluently by the end of 9th, these days).

    The whole biz re: Cookie Monster and Snuffy no longer being invisable is perfect blog-fodder: it's almost like we're trying to AVOID children thinking creatively (when actually I think it's more the fact that parents aren't doing their job so Cookie has to teach kids that eating a whole box of Nilla Wafers @ one sitting will make you sick 'cuz momma ain't gonna do it).

    Meanwhile, why single out public broadcasting? Come to my bookstore where we stock about 2,000 magazines and a good 1/2 of 'em feature womens' breasts displayed like fruit in a still life. You could get a sexual education just by going through "mens fashion" 'zines alone! Why don't people focus their energy where it will do the greatest good? Instead of trying to "clean up" Seseme St., how about cleanin' up other places?

    Why? Simple: Big Corporations run TV and radio and newspapers: NPR and PBS are supported on tax $$$ and contributions and are therefore easier to manipulate and control.

    Sick. Sick, sick, sick...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home