About Me


Name: Raven
Home: Ohio, United States
About Me: Married, 2 kids, 3 step-kids, 3 cats and a mini-doxie
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Places I Wander
Template by
Blogger templates
Sunday, October 02, 2005
Nostalgia
How much does a normal person pay for nostalgia? By normal I mean a person who is not wondering whether they should vacation in Italy this year or go some place more exotic. Normal is a person who holds on to their falling apart car because it is paid off and they really don't want a car payment at the moment.
So, again how much do you pay for nostalgia? I was in BJ's (a wholesale club by my house) this weekend looking for a DVD my daughter want for her birthday. I was looking around and saw something that just astounded me. I saw Faerie Tale Theatre on sale. I used to watch these when I was a kid/teenager. They were wonderful stories. Classic fairy tales performed by big name stars such as Robin Williams.
Now I would have bought it instantly but it was over $40. I put it down and walked away but I am still thinking about it. I told my husband about it, my sister, my mother, my kids...everyone. Is $40 a reasonable amount to pay for nostalgia? I don't have a lot of money...enough...but still. I have thought of these programs several times over the years. Is it worth $40 to watch them whenever I want? I am still wrestling with that question.
posted by Raven @ 9:05 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At October 02, 2005 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    $40 may actually be CHEAP AT THE PRICE for such things. I noticed a link to Jim Henson's The Storyteller on there, and a friend o' mine would probably give his left leg for that collection, it's been outta' print for so very long.

    Here's a good rule of thumb I use for situations like this: "will I (you) get $40 worth of enjoyment and pleasure out of this purchase?" If you will watch, say, 1 episode and that's it, then no, it's not worth it. If you're going to watch them over and over again, then by all means, YES. You could also check on eBay and at your local movie trader, but I think the 'zon tends to give some of the best deals.

    As for nostalgia... hell, I don't know HOW much $$$ I'm spending on it each month: we've got TWO storage units now STUFFED with crap that we've been lugging from house to house, including STUPID SHIT like a Q-Tip hat my wife wore in marching band. Nostalgia? I've got it in my hip pocket. I ain't got no $$$ and I'd buy a video collection for $40 hands down; I just wouldn't eat fast food or eat dinner out somewhere for a week or so.

     
  • At October 03, 2005 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmm, paying for nostalgia. Interesting concept.

    Just surfing through from Blog Explosion and wanted to say hi!

     
  • At October 03, 2005 8:50 PM, Blogger Wontar said…

    I agree with big orange. It's not about how much it costs, but how much you'll get out of it. If you can watch it over and over, share it with your children, and in turn relive that experience whenever you watch them to have a mix of both old and new memories, then it's worth every penny. Don't buy it just to have it.

     
  • At October 04, 2005 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At October 05, 2005 2:09 PM, Blogger No BS said…

    If it sticks in your mind for a long time, it is worth it! It means you really want it. Otherwise you would have moved on to something else.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home