About Me


Name: Raven
Home: Ohio, United States
About Me: Married, 2 kids, 3 step-kids, 3 cats and a mini-doxie
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Places I Wander
Template by
Blogger templates
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Thanksgiving 2007 (sigh)
Sigh…I love Thanksgiving. It’s up there behind only Christmas and Halloween. I am not looking forward to it this year. Between what my mother did to my uncle and cousins in the spring, and how she has behaved towards me since then…I really just don’t want to be anywhere near her.
I’m planning on self medicating to keep me a little more mellow, but it’s going to be a long day. It could very easily be one of my parent’s last Thanksgiving. My father has a heart condition and emphysema. I found out from my kids that he is using oxygen more and more. My mother has a heart condition and diabetes and is severely overweight. She won’t do a thing about it. It makes me sad that even knowing that, I really just do not want to go.
I did think of two things that made me smile though. The first is that this is the first meal I’ve had over at my folk’s house since the blow up in the spring. For years we have all had specific places we sit at the table. My place (since I was a very small child) was to the left of my dad. I’m curious to see if I get displaced this year. Considering I am pretty sure I have already been written out of will, I find the idea of this rather humorous. I’m trying to get my hubby to bet with me to see if I’ve been moved to a more anonymous place at the Thanksgiving table.
The second is that dinner is at my parent’s house. Hubby and I have done Thanksgiving almost every year since we’ve been married. Because of this, if things get too terrible I can claim a horrible migraine and leave!
Thankfully I will have my morning to myself and my family so I will have plenty of time to prepare and enjoy the parade and holiday in our own home.
posted by Raven @ 3:32 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At November 21, 2007 1:54 PM, Blogger Schmoop said…

    Well if nothing else, enjoy your own family and the day off. Happy Thanksgiving and Cheers Raven.

     
  • At November 21, 2007 6:32 PM, Blogger SkylersDad said…

    I hope that you are surprised with a good time Raven, and that you are not demoted to the card table...

     
  • At November 21, 2007 10:23 PM, Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said…

    I have visions of "your place @ the table" having been hacked out with a small hatchet. I think it would be amusing to post that if this is the case.

    Either that, or you'll be at the short table in the basement eating w/the kids.

    Meanwhile, I just spent o'er 8 hours in the Magic Kingdom, mostly in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. I now know how to sing "It's a Small World" in at least 14 languages and I've got all the text memorized to "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh".

    I'm looking forward to a "calm" day tomorrow at Grammie and Pappa's pad (I'm sure there will be a golf cart ride to the center of the retirement community, and I'm bringing my bottle of mojito mix with me for a lil' self medication-- be damned with the caution not to mix it with antidepressants!!)

     
  • At November 25, 2007 4:51 PM, Blogger bubbles said…

    I hope it turned out well. Family politics and issues all end in time - by choice or by death.

    We went to relatives... but I still had to cook because the kids begged for a dinner prepared by me... (patting self on back with self-satisfied grin)

    Hot Lemon:
    Not to worry about the mix of mojito and anti depressants. With a little practice you will be able to obtain the perfect chemical balance!

     
  • At November 30, 2007 10:46 AM, Blogger Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said…

    how's your head, after your Thurs nite at th' Pub??

     
Post a Comment
<< Home