About Me


Name: Raven
Home: Ohio, United States
About Me: Married, 2 kids, 3 step-kids, 3 cats and a mini-doxie
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Places I Wander
Template by
Blogger templates
Sunday, November 05, 2006
Bigger isn't always better...
Sometimes it's just bigger. I took the girls to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire at the IMAX theater today. For those of you that have not experienced an IMAX...you really should indulge. They run several one hour educational movies that are wonderful. Harry Potter though, was something else.
Now we saw HP on opening night, the midnight showing. It was a great experience. I figured this would be fun, having seen other movies on an IMAX I figured it would be something different. The kids enjoyed it, but I was a little overwhelmed. It was just too big. After the first hour you start missing the details on the edges of the screen. You just can keep up.
After the second hour your neck starts to hurt and your eyes begin to water. By the end...I was just glad it was over. I was quite happy to walk out of the theater. The kids were chattering away about how great it was and how wonderful the "big screen" experience was.
I'm wondering if my inability to deal with that much sensory input thrown at me all at once is just another sign of age. (shrug) Oh well live an learn. One hour movies at IMAX...good...Two and half hour movies...bad.
posted by Raven @ 10:20 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At November 07, 2006 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know if it's AGE, or if it's age-derived MATURITY. I mean, when WE were kids if there was such a thing as IMAX and we got to see a flick like that we would've been jazzed for a week! I think the more you live the less tolerance you have for overstimulation. Even I can't stand Charles E. Fromage for more than about an hour, and I can ignore a TON of noise and incoming stim.

     
  • At November 07, 2006 4:07 PM, Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said…

    Yeah, I'm more of a DVD person when it comes to looooong movies like that. I need to pee at least once during them and my neck starts to hurt in those uncomfy chairs.

     
  • At November 07, 2006 4:08 PM, Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said…

    Yeah, I'm more of a DVD person when it comes to looooong movies like that. I need to pee at least once during them and my neck starts to hurt in those uncomfy chairs.

     
  • At November 07, 2006 10:20 PM, Blogger Raven said…

    Thank the gods my kids are out of the Chuck E Cheese stage...you have my sympathy!
    I think my brain can wrangle a spreadsheet to the ground, debate ethics, relifion and politics without batting an eye, and coo a Thanksgiving meal while watching a parade on TV and refereeing 5 kids...but that much visual and audio stimulation was just too much. I felt lilke there shoudl be that corny robot from lost in space in the background going Danger Danger!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home