About Me


Name: Raven
Home: Ohio, United States
About Me: Married, 2 kids, 3 step-kids, 3 cats and a mini-doxie
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Places I Wander
Template by
Blogger templates
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
When it rains it pours
I know the title is a really old cliche, but it fits the moment. Easter sucked. There is no better term for it. We went north to my in-laws. My FIL has cancer, a lot of cancer, all over. He also had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago. While we were up there I ran myself ragged trying to give my MIL and the one SIL that live there a break, doing as much as I possibly could to make the holiday easier for them. Around midnight Easter Day night my FIL starts saying he is hot. We take his temperature, no fever. He takes off his sweater, and he is clammy. Thanks to the cancer in his lungs, he can't really tell if anything specific in his chest hurts, everything hurts. So they take him off to the hospital. Yep, he had another heart attack. He is back in the hospital hooked up to a nice morphine drip. They are having real problems stabalizing him so he can go back home.
While we were up north, we had boarded our doggie. We knew something wasn't quite right with her. For one thing, we couldn't keep her water bowl filled. She would slurp it down in record time. Well the vet called my husband's cell phone Easter morning from his home. Sadie was diabetic, a very sever diabetic. He went through the treatment options, but told us he didn't have much hope for them. One because she was so sever and two because Sadie was a rescue dog she had certain quirks about her that would make treating her at home very difficult. She would be in pain much of the time and probably end up blind and possibly lame. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't put Sadie throught that. We came home and then went to the vet and had her put down. Hubby couldn't handle it and had to leave, but I stayed and petted her head and gave her all of the love and attention I could.
Hubby went back up north to help out his mom the next day. The family is going to be taking turns coming into town to help my MIL out for the next month or so. We told the kids about Sadie, while upset they seem to be recovering better than I am.
posted by Raven @ 7:52 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At April 19, 2006 4:25 PM, Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said…

    Prayers.

    I hope it gets better for you soon!

     
  • At April 20, 2006 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jesus. As in both the explative and "somebody HELP!"

    Went through much the same when mom passed: the last thing I did before leaving town was to put down Butterscotch, my childhood kitty who's health was hanging on by a thread. Somehow, it was like an insult to do that after dealing with the loss of a person I loved.

    ::sigh:: you're in my thoughts, toots. Remember, the beach calleth, should you need to get the hell OUT of town for awhile...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home