About Me


Name: Raven
Home: Ohio, United States
About Me: Married, 2 kids, 3 step-kids, 3 cats and a mini-doxie
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Places I Wander
Template by
Blogger templates
Thursday, March 02, 2006
When does death go on holiday?
It's been a lousy week for bad news and death. They say these things come in 3's and I've hit that mark, so hopefully it's at an end for the moment.
A friend of a friend has just been diagnosed with leukemia. I know this person very minimally, they are a little young and not really someone I would hang out with. He and his wife are newly married and expecting their first child, and then to get hit with this.
We also got news that my father-in-law's medical test came back. He has been feeling run down and not quite right for quite awhile and the family finally bullied him into getting these tests. Well, the chest x-rays show a spot on each lung and one on his esophogus. So he is going back in for a biopsy and a full body CAT scan. We really don't know what is going to happen here because my FIL has been rather passively killing himself since my youngest BIL died 7 years ago. He could decide not to get any treatment.
Then 2 days ago we heard that the husband of a friend died. Someone I've known for 10 years. He had already been diagnosed with terminal cancer but he was not expected to die for another 3 months or more. Their kids got together and gave them a cruise, flying back from Florida he had a coughing fit on the plane and it burst the tumor. They made an emergency landing in Louisville, but there was nothing they could do. So, I'm going to the wake tonight and the funeral tomorrow.
Hopefully death is appeased for the moment.
posted by Raven @ 7:00 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At March 05, 2006 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    funny I should read this today: March 5th marks the TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY of my mom's death. How's THAT for non-stick??

    After mom died, I shaved my head as a sign of mourning, and I remember you saying, "well, as we all get older you're going to find yourself bald most of the time." I didn't think that mid/late 30's would ring it in, though: I was hoping to get to my 60's before folk started dropping dead of horrible diseases.

    Dunno what to say-- your tone didn't seem like one seeking sympathy, so I won't smother you with "I'm so sorry"'s, but if it's of any consequence, I think I know what it's like. And yes, here's to hoping that Death may be staved off for a while while we all recover.

     
  • At March 06, 2006 9:09 PM, Blogger Raven said…

    Death is part of life...we all know this. Unfortunatly we are getting to the age when our parents are older, their friends are older, people we have made friends with in the work force...all going down that path.
    You are right that I am not looking for sympathy. I think I am just looking for more of an affirmation of life. One thing I have to keep asking myself is when we cry at a funeral who are we crying for? The person who died? They are beyond caring, we are crying for ourselves and that is not what the person who died would want. Now if I could just teach that to my father in law.

     
  • At March 07, 2006 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    here's one for ya:

    "Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened."

    ---Dr. Seuss

     
Post a Comment
<< Home